Transferring WordPress to a new web host in 10 steps
If you prefer to get your hands dirty like I do, than here is exactly how to move your WordPress site Web Host Pro yourself.
1. You will need a couple tools. A FTP client and access to phpmyadmin or a way to export your database. VERY IMPORTANT – When you sign up for your new host make sure to use the same “username” that you did before.
2. The first thing is to simply download the site. With FileZilla you would just highlight the entire folder the site is located in and download it to your desktop.
3. Next you need to get your database exported. In phpmyadmin you just click on the database and click export in the upper tab and then leave the default settings and click go:
4. Now set up WordPress on your new web hosting account. Most hosts like WebHost.Pro have an auto installer that allows you to add WordPress with one click.
5. Now upload the files via FileZilla and just overwrite the files that are there. Technically you only need to upload the files in the WP-CONTENT folder but if it’s easier to just upload everything than go for it.
6. Now go to your new phpmyadmin and click structure and check all. Once everything is checked click drop to remove all the tables and content.
7. In your new phpmyadmin click the upper tab that says “import” and click “choose file” then navigate to the mysql file you saved before and click go:
8. Now log in and update anything needed, it will have a message if anything needs to be upgraded or updated.
9. Pat yourself on the back, you’re now free from the shackles of your bad host.
10. There is no ten we just had to add it to have ten reasons in the title. Good luck with everything!
Was this answer helpful?
To be honest it's not one big thing although there is a couple more expensive things we do to be...
With a 301 redirect you can have just about any location move to another. Here we will list how...
In most cases if you page downloads instead of opening, it's because there is some bad or...
If you decide to not use RV Site Builder anymore don't worry. You can remove your site anytime by...