Two-Factor Authentication is the best form of security to defend from someone taking over your cPanel account. The new tool in your cPanel allows you to use an app on your phone via a QR code or direct code. From there every login will require a code from this app to access the account.
2FA requires a smartphone with a supported time-based one-time password (TOTP) app. We suggest the following apps:
- For Android™, iOS®, and Blackberry® — Google Authenticator™
- For Android and iOS — Duo Mobile
- For Windows® Phone — Authenticator
To configure 2FA, perform the following steps:
- Click Set Up Two-Factor Authentication.
- Link your cPanel account and your 2FA app:
- To automatically create the link, scan the displayed QR code with your app.
- To manually create the link, enter the provided Account and Key information in your app.
- Within your 2FA app, retrieve the six-digit security code
Note: The 2FA app generates a new six-digit security code every 30 seconds.
- Enter the six-digit security code in the Security Code text box.
Note: You must enter the security code within 30 seconds. After time expires, the app will generate a new six-digit code.
- Click Configure Two-Factor Authentication.
Note: If you see a Failed to set user configuration: The security code is invalid. error, a problem may exist with the date and time settings on your server. To fix the issue, contact your hosting provider.
Friday, July 10, 2020